Happy New Year!
Are you as excited as we are about the beginning of a brand new decade? Even just the sound of it – 2020 – makes this year feel like it’s going to be epic! Of course we’re not all travelling round in hover-cars and wearing dodgy all-silver outfits like we may have imagined growing up. But there’s a definite mood of excitement about what this year has in store.
Okay, so January can feel like it’s a million weeks long, and we might not all be jumping for joy about being back at work. Yes, the lazy pyjama days of that week between Christmas and New Year are now a distant memory. But let’s dust of any January blues and leap right into the interior design trends that are tipped to be huge in 2020.
1. Goodbye Griege. Our long love affair with grey is finally coming to an end. The Pantone colour of the year for 2020 is “Classic Blue.” Yep grey is out and blue is in. The great thing about this dark, rich tone of blue is that it’s super-easy to incorporate into your home. You don’t have to get the paintbrush out to update your interior for the New Year. You can stay on trend simply by adding in accents of blue in your accessories. We love this selection of fabulous cushions especially the velvet ones. Velvet is set to continue being one of our must-have fabrics!
2. Grandmillenial Style. Here we’re talking about traditional style with a modern twist. So think about layering old and new, mixing styles and periods. The idea is that this look isn’t too perfect. We’re aiming for that lived-in feel but still keeping clean lines. So add a touch of chintz. Look for scallop edges, natural fibre rugs, statement pieces of rounded furniture and big floral prints on your wallpaper. Be playful dressing your room with a Grecian bust or a tailor’s dummy to add character and personality into your interior design.
3. Maximalism. This is a style trend that is set to continue in 2020. It’s time to think big, loud and bold. Patterns, geometric design, mismatched furniture, animal prints and jewel toned colours are key elements to this look. We love our Becca Oak Display Shelving, which is perfect if you’re looking to create a maximalist-inspired room. And for the ultimate splash of indulgence why not incorporate a drinks trolley in your entertaining space. Staying in is the new going out after all.
4. Bold Black and White. This high-contrast, high-drama design is timeless and it’s tipped to be huge in 2020. There’s a move towards black furniture. Yep, black furniture is back and it’s not going to be confined to teenage boys’ bedrooms. With the step away from all-white kitchens, it couldn’t be easier to incorporate this look in your home. Simply adding some new black and white adjustable shelving will add a touch of contrast to your home. And, with real plants being a must-have in the 2020 home, where better to display your pilea collection than on our stylish ladder shelving!
5. Earth Tones. With the move away from grey, interior designers are featuring warmer, richer colours in their home interiors. Chocolate browns, wine, ochre, olive green are all colours you’ll see a lot of this year. And with Earth tones comes natural materials. The earthiness of wood. And the focus on sustainability. If your new project for 2020 is to create a tidy home, then you’ll want to see our beautiful collection of oak storage solutions.
So there you have it. Five interior design trends that are bound to dominate your Pinterest boards and Instagram feed in 2020. Which is your favourite?